30 Oct Super Green Quinoa Salad
Try this quick and easy to make Green Quinoa Salad that incorporates foods that can be grown in your own back garden. What’s better than eating vegetables that have 0 food miles and are 100% organic?
Super Green Quinoa Salad
As a child I lived in a house with a big garden. My Dad was akeen gardenWhen I made this salad I lived in a house that only had a small courtyard as a garden. As a child
- 1/2 cup of Quinoa.
- Runner Beans
- Cougette (green)
- Vegetable Stock (to cook the Quinoa in)
- Green Pepper
How to make:
- Measure out the quinoa and rinse well under cold water.
- Bring 2 cups of fresh water to the boil (you can also add a low salt vegetable stock cube to the water for extra flavour, is use Kallo’s organic, very low salt vegetable stock cubes).
- Add the Qunioa and cook for around 20 minutes, until the quinoa grains have opened up and they are light and fluffy (add more water as necessary).
- Carefully wash and chop the vegetables into small pieces.
- Boil the runner beans and chard in a pan of fresh water.
- Steam the rest of the vegetables, add or take away any of the vegetables as you wish.
- Once everything is cooked, add all the ingredients together and serve hot or allow to cool completely and have as a salad snack.
What are the health benefits of the foods in this salad?
- High in protein – It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
- High in fibre – contains more than any other grain.
- Packed with iron – helps to keep our red blood cells healthy
- Rich in magnesium – magnesium has many health benefits including; regulates blood sugar levels, reduces the risk of diabetes, produces energy, maintains healthy bones and teeth
- Gives you energy – releases energy over a slower period of time which means it does not effect your blood sugar level.
- Aids in weight loss – low in calories and packed with protein and fibre which keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
- A fantastic source of protein – a cup of broccoli has as much protein as a cup of rice or corn with half the calories.
- Reduces allergy and inflammation – broccoli contains two nutrients (kaempferol and isothiocyanates) which are both anti-inflammatory plant based nutrients.
- High in Vitamin C – a powerful antioxident
- Maintains bone health – broccoli is high in calcium and Vitamin K
- Aids in weight loss – Broccoli is a smart carbohydrate and is high in fibre, which aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and curbs overeating.
- High in vitamins K, C, and A, as well as vitamin E, riboflavin, and vitamin B6
- Contains many minerals including magnesium, manganese, potassium, iron, sodium, and copper
- Maintains blood sugar levels – helps to manage diabetes
- Aids in bone health – due to the high levels of calcium
- Helps keep a healthy heart – due to the anti-inflammatory and phytonutrient (plant based) antioxidants found in chard