30 Sep Homemade Falafels
These homemade falafels are easy to make, require only a few ingredients and are perfect to pop in a pitta or on top of a salad.
Makes 11 falafels
– 1 tin mixed bean salad (in water)
– 1 garlic clove
– 1 finely chopped onion
– 1/2 tsp paprika
– 2 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp mixed herbs
– 1 lemon zest
– 3 heaped tbsp wholemeal plain flour (or alternative flour)
– Pinch of salt
– 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 1 medium free range egg
– Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a small pan. Fry the onion over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a further two minutes and remove from the heat.
– Drain and rinse the chickpeas and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the sautéed onion and garlic and crush together with a potato masher until the mixture is broken down.
– Add the cumin, mixed herbs and lemon zest and mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the egg and mix together.
– Place on a non-stick baking tray and bake for 25 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown. Turn occasionally to ensure even cooking.
– Remove from the oven and serve immediately, or leave to cool and pop in a salad for lunch later on.
Serving suggestion – Place inside a wholemeal pitta with salad, or serve cool on top of a salad and take to work with you!
Nutritional Values – Per one falafel