04 Nov Raw Cacao Protein Balls
Cacao powder is a new ingredient in my kitchen so I have been having great fun experimenting with different recipes.
The other night I really fancied a “naughty” but healthy treat, so decided to use my cacao powder to make some delightful chocolatey Cacao balls.
I quickly realised that these are almost the same ingredients used in the ‘Energy Balls’ that you can buy from health food stores and supermarkets. I have never purchased one as they look really small and are quite expensive. (I tend to go for the larger bars for less cost). However, when I compared ingredients of the Energy Ball to my Cacao Ball and they are very similar but the Energy Ball had more preservative ingredients in compared to mine. Plus, because I had all the ingredients in my cupboard, I made seven Cacao Balls for nothing!
Raw Cacao Protein Balls
Makes 7 balls
2 tsp vegan protein powder (I use ‘The Protein Works’ one)
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tsp chia seeds
5 tbsp ground almonds
2 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp agave nectar / pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Blend the almonds and flax seed together until they make a flour texture and pour into a bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix well with a metal spoon.
3. The ingredients should start to combine and stick together. If not add a little bit of water to the mixture.
4. Tip out the mixture onto a floured surface (if you have extra almond flour you can use that, if not use an alternative flour such a brown rice or wholemeal).
5. Seperate the mixture into seven balls ensuring they are lightly dusted with the flour so they loose the stickiness.
6. Leave to cool in the fridge for around 15 minutes or eat immediately.
7. Store in an air tight container in the fridge.